Alcoholism Community
alcoholism

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

alcoholism

My husband refuses to stop drinking or smoking.  He smokes at least 2 pks a day and drinks 18 beers a day.  He had some problem with his skin so now he eats better and it cleared up.  He has a huge stomach and hates to walk cause his feet hurt so bad.  He cant stand for anything to touch his feet.  He fell months ago due to his blood pressure med being too high and hurt his hip.  His doctor says his feet may hurt from hurting his back during the fall.  I dont think so, I think it is fluid.  What are the symptoms of this?
First of all I have to say that I'm so sorry that you have to sit by and watch your loved one do this to his body and both of your lives. You really deserve much better, both of you do. Do you think it would help to check out al-anon, a family group of spouses and family of alcoholics?

This is picked up on the internet about fluid retention in feet. Maybe it would help, but really your husband needs to change his lifestyle or he will probably die earlier than he needs to. I know how hard it is, because i'm doing it. Quitting alcohol and drugs, was a necessity for me, but the lifestyle change is what kept me from using, and has kept me alive. He needs to lose weight, even if he does it without exercise, it can be done with nutrition.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers!!

Some tips that may help:

Raise your legs above your heart while lying down.
Exercise your legs. This helps pump fluid from your legs back to your heart.
Follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid buildup and swelling.
Wear support stockings (sold at most drug and medical supply stores).
When traveling, take breaks often to stand up and move around.
Avoid wearing tight clothing or garters around your thighs.
Lose weight if you need to.
Never stop taking any medicines you think may be causing swelling without first talking to your doctor.

Doctors refer to the accumulation of fluid in the body tissues and cavities as water retention. When excess water accumulates in the feet, the feet swell and cause discomfort. Water retention in the feet occurs as a complication of several medical conditions. If you experience water retention that does not go away, consult a doctor to determine the cause.
Pulmonary Hypertension
The lungs contain veins and arteries that carry blood to and away from the heart. In pulmonary venous hypertension, the veins dilate and cause increased pressure. This usually occurs as the result of a problem with the left heart, according to David S. Feigin, M.D. of Johns Hopkins University. This condition causes excess fluid to build up in the blood vessels, which leads to water retention in the feet, ankles and legs.
3 Herbs that Beat Anxiety Doctors Reveal 1 Weird Compound to Calm Anxiety that May Surprise You www.a2xanxiety.com
Sponsored Links
Cardiomyopathy
Heart muscle disease, referred to as cardiomyopathy, weakens the heart and makes it difficult for the organ to pump blood. Blood pools in the veins as they carry it to the heart for distribution to other body tissues. This results in fluid accumulation in the feet and lower extremities.
Kidney Failure
The kidneys regulate the amount of sodium and fluid in the body. When they work properly, the kidneys respond to excess fluid by eliminating it in the urine. In cases of acute or chronic kidney failure, the kidneys do not maintain normal fluid levels. This results in water retention by the feet, legs, eyelids, ankles and hands.
Chronic Kidney Disease
The kidneys contain filtration units known as nephrons, which reabsorb sodium and water for use by the body. Chronic kidney disease makes it difficult for the kidneys to filter wastes properly. This leads to the leakage of protein in the urine and the accumulation of excess fluid in the body. The excess fluid pools in the legs, feet, hands, face and ankles, resulting in swelling and discomfort.
Congestive Heart Failure
MayoClinic.com defines congestive heart failure as the inability of the heart to pump blood efficiently. Causes of this condition include high blood pressure and narrowing of the arteries in the heart. Congestive heart failure causes fluid to pool in the feet, ankles and legs.
Excess Sodium Consumption
Since sodium holds on to water and increases the total volume of the blood, excessive sodium consumption leads to water retention in the feet and other parts of the body. The American Heart Association recommends eating less than 1,500 mg of sodium per day to reduce the risk of diseases associated with high sodium consumption.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/146762-causes-of-water-retention-in-feet/#ixzz28YTTrD4S

Some tips that may help:

Lose weight if you need to.

Pulmonary Hypertension
Sponsored Links
Cardiomyopathy
Kidney Failure
Chronic Kidney Disease
Congestive Heart Failure
Excess Sodium Consumption