Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
CFS

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

CFS

Thanks very much for your reply, which we will look into. Do you know how my brother would be diagnosed for these muscle conditions he may have. He is very weak and bedridden so wouldn't be well enough to go to hospital to be checked. In this situation would a test be able to be done in his home and what is the test. Would it involve a muscle biopsy?

He saw a specialist a couple years ago who was no help at all and basically said there was no cure when your leg drops off come back and see me which is disgusting. His doctor also said no cure nothing he can do, how could he arrange tests to be carried out to investigate the muscle deterioration. Also it sounds like this muscle wastage he has is not normally part of CFS is this right? He has always been very thin but obviously lost more weight and has lost much of his muscle and is very weak. He can hardly pick up a litre bottle.

We dont want to pursue the specialist he saw once previously, how could we go about seeing another who can investigate the muscle problem?

I have tried to research as much as poss on thei nternet into muscle diseases but most don't seem to fit his condition, and there are so many variuos types.

Many Thanks for your help.

Michelle
Tags: FM/CFS
Tests for chronic infections usually involve a blood sample--muscle biopsies are not necessary.  The reason for this is that such infections are usually systemic or system-wide and can be found in the blood with advanced testing such as PCR.  For more information see Clinical Testing section on our website, www.immed.org