Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Birad o mamogram(mammogram)

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Birad o mamogram(mammogram)

I'm a 47 yr old female who has yearly mamograms. I went for mine yesterday, and got called back today, She said the radiologist wants me to come back for more pictures and a ultrasound. She said there was al dense area that they are questioning. I asked if it was a large area she said no, but it looked abnormal. If I have to have a ultrasound does that mean they saw a cyst or tumor? She said they Birad was 0? I',m confused and a bit scared can you tell me what this all means? They also have me waiting a week for these test. I don't have a family history of breast cancer but I take premarin due to a hysterectomy for endomet. Thank you
Dear Kate062, The BIRADS scale is a rating system used by radiologists to categorize findings on a mammogram. The scale runs from 1 to 5. (1 being nothing to comment on. Routine screening) to (5 being highly suggestive of malignancy). A rating of 0 just indicates that additional evaluation to clarify findings is recommended.  

In this case the dense area finding needs more clarification which is why the ultrasound has been recommended.  An ultrasound is a good test to differentiate between an area that is solid tissue and fluid-filled cyst, although having an ultrasound does not automatically mean that something will be found at the site of density.