Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Cancer spread to the bone

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Cancer spread to the bone

Hi..my mother has metastatic breast cancer spread to the bones, according to her recent PET scan...her previous CAT scan and bone scan from 1 yr. ago was negetive...She was put on monthly infusions of Zometa and Arimidex...she also has changed from Arimidex to Faslodex injections...my question is I thought that Zometa was the latest treatment for metastasis to the bone from Breast cancer..and since she has been on that for almost 7 or 8 months, and now has a positive scan, is it really helping her?? And, do you know of any other treatments for metastasis to the bone?? Where do we go from here?? (she sees an Oncologist regularly)..Thank you, Ilsa
Dear Ilsa, Zometa is used to treat or prevent complications of bone metastasis from breast cancer, and used in conjunction with anti-tumor treatment (the Arimidex or now Faslodex).  As long as she is tolerating the Zometa well continuing it would not be unusual despite the worsening bone disease, because we are trying to prevent complications of bone disease such as pain or fractures, not solely treating the disease itself.  The change in hormone therapy is to treat the disease differently.  Other treatments would be chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the use of chemotherapy need to taking into account your mother's overall health, as well as the risks and benefits of any treatment.