Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Discharge from areola

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Discharge from areola

I am 32 years old and currently 30 weeks pregnant.  As with my previous two pregnancies, I have had slight itching/tingling in my breasts as they have grown but this time there is something else worrying me.

On the areola of my right breast, I have developed a 'sore' which I first noticed last tuesday.  It was the size of my little fingernail and was spontaneously weeping clear fluid.  At this time there was no pain with it.  By wednesday, the discharge had turned yellow and I told my GP.  He did not examine it, he just told me to keep it clean.  I have been using breast pads inside my bra as the discharge was soaking through and sticking my breast to my bra.

By friday, my right breast had become tender and the sore area had spread to the size of my thumb nail, the discharge was the same.  I saw a different GP at my surgery, who tried to take a swab, but at the time nothing was coming out, he put me on antibiotics.  Three days later, the sore is worse and still discharging yellow fluid, it has also spotted blood.  I have another appointment at 5.15pm today with yet another GP at my surgery but I am worried I'm not getting anywhere.  The pain in my right breast today has been much worse and seems to come in spasms.

Can you offer any advice?

Dear mumtobe:  If there has been no injury to the breast, you are doing the right thing by having a doctor take a look at this.  Examination will help the doctor to make appropriate recommendations.
1 Comment
A related discussion, slow healing sore on breast was started.