Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroadenoma
My first mamogram a few weeks ago showed a density in my left breast. On the callback visit a second mamogram and ultrasound showed two smooth nodules which the doctor explained were very likely to be fibroadenoma. He recommended a six month follow up visit, stating that he could not say for sure that the nodules were benign without a biopsy and I could schedule one if I liked but he did not feel it was necessary. I was very comfortable with his recommendation and agreed to the six month follow up. A few months ago an adenomatous polyp was removed during a colonoscopy and two years ago an ultrasound confirmed a uterine fibroid. My question is this - should I be concerned about these benign tumors that keep popping up? Is there any connection? I am 41 years old and in good health, although there is a history of colon cancer in my family. Thank you.
Dear MacTil:  As long as they are benign, there is nothing to be concerned about.  Some people are just prone to these sorts of things.  The important thing is that you are getting the recommended surveillance and followup to make sure any growths remain benign.