Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroglandular densities

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroglandular densities
sll
I recently had a screening mammogram. The technologist pointed out fibroglandular tissue in the fims. I am 50 yrs old. I do have a family history of breast cancer (mother) however hers did not develope until after 65 and she lived for 15 years after that.

I did notice some changes in my breasts 6 about 6 years ago. I can feel ropelike lumpy glands in both breasts.

What is fibroglandular tissue. Should I be concerned?
Dear sll:  It is not uncommon for women to have fibrous tissue in their breasts.  In fact, it is very common.  Fibrous tissue is, in itself, not harmful.  However, it can cause discomfort and may appear dense on mammography, making these films more difficult to interpret.  Caffeine may contribute to fibrous tissue formation and minimizing coffee, tea, dark colas, and chocolate may help.
A related discussion, Breast tissue was started.
A related discussion, Dose fibroglandular tissue lead to cancer? was started.
A related discussion, want to know was started.