Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Lymph Nodes seen on Mammo/Normal?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Lymph Nodes seen on Mammo/Normal?

Just one general question that no one seems to have the answer to and I'm hoping you can help me.  

Various women's mammo reports say "benign appearing lymph nodes seen in axillary region".  Is it normal to SEE lymph nodes on mammograms?  If not, are they seen because they are inflamed or something?  What reasons would lymph nodes be seen on mammograms?  

I have read different things that say "it's normal to a degree" and other say "it's not normal and they need to biopsy them".  Thanks for any input you can provide.  This is a burning quesion on another site I visit as well.
Dear spankyandrex:  Lymph nodes are located throughout the body.  They are closest to the skin surface in places like the neck, collarbone, axilla and groin.  Depending on the mammogram, it is not uncommon for an axillary node or two to be seen in the view.  As long as they appear normal to the radiologist, there is no need to biopsy.