Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Stereotactic Breast Biopsy-Deep Purple Bruising- Normal?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had my biopsy done on 6-18-07, three days ago. Still no word from doctor. Plus last night, I noticed more bruising, very large area, on opposite side of breast. Not the area that was biopsied. Is it normal to have a lump there and so much bruising? My whole breast is very tender to the touch. The color is dark purple. The doctor did warn me that I might have a lot of bruising, but I didn't expect this much. It is not too painful. Do biopsies generally take this long to get results back? Or is this a bad sign? Thanks for any input or advice from anyone.
Dear ElenaMarie58,  Bruising after a stereotactic biopsy is not unusual, and can extend to breast tissue beyond just the area of the biopsy.  You may want to let your surgeon know just to be sure this would be expected with what was done with the biopsy.  The timeframe for results of a biopsy to be available depends on a number of factors; the facility processes, whether special stains are being done, the pathologists schedule etc.   A  general time frame is about 7-10 days before the final results are available.  The length of time taken for the results of the biopsy does not indicate what the results will be.

1 Comment
A related discussion, timeframes was started.