Breast Cancer Expert Forum
To remove lump or not to remove lump, that is the question :oP

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I wrote several days ago concerning a fibroadenoma with florid hyperplasia located in my right breast. I finally saw a surgeon because that is what the radiologist recommended (it grew about 1.5 cm. in 6 six months.), so they wanted to make sure this was a benign process. While having this fibroadenoma in my body is harmless for the most part, the surgeon suggested I remove it because if I kept it, I would always have to worry about it. Plus, I'd have to get biannual exams and what not. I also opted for this procedure because I feel extremely uncomfortable with it. I may be fine now since I'm very young, but what about later in life? Plus, it can be extremely painful, enough to where I can't lie on my right side while going to sleep.
The only drawbacks of removing the fibroadenoma that I know of is the scar tissue interfering with future mammagrams...are there any other major drawbacks? Is this a bad decision? Is this a common decision among ppl my age (early twenties). Should I see a specialist? Florid hyperplasia increases your chances of cancer by 2 times. Does this mean 20% chance of getting cancer?
I know I'm young to be worrying about this, but I'm thinking in terms of the future.
Thanks for your help!!! :o)
Dear Morgan Ashly: Increasing the risk of cancer 2 times, means 2 times your lifetime risk - not 20%.  Most would make the decision to remove the fibroadenoma - for precisely the reasons you describe.