Breast Cancer Expert Forum
What does physiologic uptake of radiotracer mean?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had no breast biopsy, and this question is related to a total body bone scan, for lower back pain. The report states there is physiologic uptake of radiotracer, ad increased radiotracer uptake posteriorly at the level of  the lumbosacral junction likely secondary to degenerative facet changes.....can you explain to me what this means???? I have had severe low back pain for yrs, and it has increased dramatically in the last 2-3 months...
Dear Lizonya,  A bone scan is a nuclear scanning test that identifies new areas of bone growth or breakdown. It can be done to evaluate damage to the bones, find cancer that has spread (metastasized) to the bones, and monitor conditions that can affect the bones (including infection and trauma).
For a bone scan, a radioactive tracer substance is injected into a vein in the arm. The tracer then travels through the bloodstream and into the bones. This process may take several hours. A special camera (gamma) takes pictures of the tracer in the bones. This helps show cell activity and function in the bones. Areas that absorb little or no amount of tracer appear as dark or "cold" spots, which may indicate a lack of blood supply to the bone (bone infarction) or the presence of certain types of cancer. Areas of rapid bone growth or repair absorb increased amounts of the tracer and show up as bright or "hot" spots in the pictures. Hot spots (or areas of increased radiotracer uptake) may indicate problems such as arthritis, the presence of a tumor, a fracture, or an infection.