Breast Cancer Expert Forum
breast lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

breast lump

hi, i'm 39 year old and had sebaceous cyst removed in my R) breast 10 years ago and biopsied, it was fibroadenoma. i have no history of breast cancer in the family but my grandmother died of stomach cancer, my surgeon told me that i got more around my breast on both sides but i shouldn't worry because the result was benign.  now, i felt another lump on my R) breast, i went to my GP and requested mammogram and US on both breast.  the result was Mammography-both breasts contain a moderately large amount of dense glandular tissue.  there are no clear features of a mass and no parenchymal deformity, neoplastic calcifications or other relevant focal abnormality.  Ultrasound both breast- the study demonstrates a reasonably hypoechoic solid mass in the 8 o'clock position in the right breast, cm from the nipple.  the lesion measures approximately 7mm in diameter and does show an irregular margin without clear features of vascularity or acoustic shadowing.  right breast is otherwise normal in appearance.  left breast shows a solitary 6mm diameter simple cyst in the 3 o'clock position.  Conclusion: 7mm diameter irregular hypoechoic solid mass in the lower outer quadrant of the R breast.  Ultrasound guided biopsy is recommended for further evaluation.  Can you tell me what does it mean.  Thanks.
Dear MistyAlly1:  What this means is that the ultrasound picked up a small abnormality in the right breast that the mammogram did not.  Because the ultrasound cannot diagnose the abnormality, a biopsy is recommended to further evaluate the abnormality.