Breast Cancer Expert Forum
nipple abnormality

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

nipple abnormality

Six weeks ago I noticed a white bump at the base of my nipple right where it meets the areola.  I watched it for a week, then went to my ob/gyn.  He said it was a blocked duct and to apply heat compresses.  I did, it got smaller.  I then scratched it, the bump fell off and an open sore was left.  The open sore produced a scab, the scab got smaller.  Now, I can see where the original bump was and the skin around that seems very dry and a little flaky.  I went back to the doctor and was told it was just dry skin.  There is no reddness or itching, no nipple discharge or palpable lump.  I just had a negative ultrasound and mammogram this past week (I am 31 with fibrocystic breasts and had a cyst).  I am just worrying about why it has taken 6 weeks for this to clear up.  I do see signs of improvement.  When I apply lotion, the dryness goes away.  I am just  concerned.  Does this sound like paget's disease?  or would the symptoms of paget's disease persist and worsen.  I feel like things look good for a few days, then it seems dry, after lotion it seems fine.  The area I am referring to is less than 2mm wide.  Thank you
Dear 1217, Paget