Chemotherapy Expert Forum
How to prevent fistula hemorrhaging during treatment

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Thank you so much for answering my question Dr. Kamal S Saini.  To answer your questions about my cancer: My last treatment was in June 2009 with Gemzar alone.  The PET CT on July 3,2009 said extensive lymphadenopathy present progressed on PET imaging in the right hilar, right retrocrural, retroperitoneal, common iliac, right lateral pelvic and left inguinal regions since prior exam.  I will be starting Doxil, which I had before and it worked, however it causes hemorrhaging.  After treatment, the area of the fistula and my rectum will tighten up for a couple days, and I don't have my usual discharge, then for a couple days, I will hemorrhage from the vagina and the rectum with severe pain.  Then it will stop, and the cycle continues all over again with each treatment of Doxil.  It's very scary.  Is there anything I can do for the bleeding during treatment?  I've had Taxol before and after the 3d time, it no longer helps, allergic to Carbo after the third time around and Cytoxin did not help, only had a few treatments with Topotecan before a surgery, and the Gemzar did very little.  Had a couple rounds of Avastin with the Doxil last year, but they discontinued it because they thought it was causing the bleeding, which proved to be wrong.  My diagnosis with the recto-vaginal fistula and colitis came after the treatment was over. Any advice would be extremely appreciated, thank you.
1 Comment
I believe you meant to post this in the Chemotherapy expert forum.  

Good luck to you.

Gail