Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Is Peg-Intron treatment for Hep C considered ....
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is Peg-Intron treatment for Hep C considered ....

Hi

I went through 8 months of Peg-Intron treatment for hepatitis C. I did achieve a SVR, but I am still having many medical and neurological problems. My treatment was during this time, 2002-2003.

I now have short term memory loss and brain fog. My coordination and balance are affected. My eyesite is very bad also. My insomnia has became severe and difficult to treat. I also have depressive/anxiety disorder and now ADHD. I now have mild generalized edema and my doctors don't know why. I have become agoraphic and have panic attacks. I can't find the correct word and my spelling is awful. I leave words out or I put them into my writing
twice. I was NOT like that before beginning the Peg-Intron tx.

During the last month of treatment, I could tell my cognitive skills were declining rapidly. I stopped the treatment at 8 months. I am a 55 year old married woman.

One doctor told me it was chemotherapy and then said it wasn't.

Are the symptoms that I have consistent with  "chemo brain"?

Thanks
Related Discussions
322973_tn?1239908038
Hi,

Interferons are naturally occurring proteins produced by the immune system. These drugs are used to treat some cancers, multiple sclerosis, as well as viral infections like hepatitis B and C.

In the oncology setting we use the Interferon group of drugs mainly to treat kidney cancer, leukemias, and melanomas. I have not personally noted the neurological symptoms mentioned by you in the few long-term survivors I know. Interferons are commonly associated with acute toxicity, bodyache, fever, flu-like symptoms, nausea, anorexia, fatigue, dizziness, depression, etc.

I would hesitate to label your current symptoms to interferons that you received about seven years ago.

Also, I would like to mention that although interferons are used in cancer therapy, they are not strictly considered "chemotherapy". The word chemotherapy is usually reserved for cytotoxic chemical agents.  

Please consult a neurologist and undergo a thorough evaluation for your symptoms.

All the best, and God Bless!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...