Chiari Malformation Community
Behavior changes after post. fossa decompression
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Behavior changes after post. fossa decompression

My 13 yo nephew had posterior fossa decompression for chiari 1 which caused a large syrinx.He had no symptoms. had MRI of spine due to scoloiosis workup.  Per the neurosurgeon all went well and he was discharged 3 days later. Approximately 2 1/2 weeks later he began to have changes in his behavior. Epsiodes where he would just stand and stare for long period of times. After the first week of school 4 of his 6 teachers notifed the school nurse that he was different,  not saying muchanxious, closing his eyes etc. When I saw him ( he lives with my mom) I could tell ther was something wrong. He has had ADHD since age 5. Normally he drives me a little crazy with his constant talking, but on the 2 hour ride to Childrens Hospital he did not say a word. Long story short the neurosurgeon agreed to admit him to have nuerology work him up. EEG showed some brain irritation, MRI brain negative. Started him on Keppra - still not sure why he started to act this way. possilbe metabolic abnormalities  Everyone saysit has nothing to do with the chiari surgery. My question - Is it possible after this type of  surgery that it could trigger this type of acute change in his behavior??? It toook multiple calls to the neurosurgeon and 2 trips to local ER before someone took us seriously.
Tags: fossa, post