Neck brace after surgery
Hi Everyone,
I am having surgery at Mass General on Oct 18.  I was wondering if they will send me home with some sort of neck brace?  Will I need one after surgery? Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen....I didn't...but I really think it all depends on ur and and what he finds when he goes in and what he feels u will need....I was instructed on how to use a walker and told to use one when I got home...and neck exercises .....
DO u have other related conditions? Like cervio cranial instability that u might need a brace?
They did give me a brace for the airport and plane and said its partly for your comfort with travel and partly so others can see from the front that you are injured.  They did not recommend consistent wearing of the brace.
I had 2 already, 1 soft & 1 hard.  You can purchase either yourself.  ( the hospital may charge more?)

I would agree that it's important for travel (even in the car) and also for others to keep their distance.  I have gotten hurt twice in grocery stores by careless shoppers before surgery, and certainly didn't need it post op.
I would get input from the Dr first and if needed he occupational therapist will help you with fitting and provide the collar.  Mine was soft and they did not recommend that I got a hard one and fit was important as they don't want anything pushing up on your head.  That would be traction and is a no post op.  As with anything we do it's important to talk to the Dr. What is right for me may not be right for you etc.
I'm in a rigid Miami J collar post op; however, I was fused in addition to decompression surgery.  If there's a fusion involved, you will probably be in some sort of collar...every doc is different in what they prefer.  
I am having surgery that day too!

Mazie :o)
I had a soft collar after I woke up. They had it on because it was painful to turn my head at first. But I wore it anytime I went in the car. Usually, if they don't give you one and you want one, you can ask for it. They should have them in stock.

Best of luck!!
Rhea