Chiari Malformation Community
chiari cranial instability surgury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

chiari cranial instability surgury

I am posting a question in regards to the cranial instability surgical procedure for chiari malformation.  Do patients seem to do much better after the surgury?  Where would you recommend the surgury done?  Can we get a second  opinion on the tests that we have done prior to the surgury?
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

A second opinion....on the invasive cranial traction?....this is the test to determine if u indeed have cranial settling or craniocervical instability.

I feel if u r not comfortable with what ur Dr is telling u get a second opinion...it may be the Dr u r not comfortable with, or his explanation of what and y something needs to be done.

Not everyone is convinced the fusion that is being done is the only way to go...do u wear a collar to help u with pain?

I know one person that has had this procedure...and another that is avoiding it.....u do lose range of motion....I was told I may need this...but have yet to go back to find out...again, if I felt this was a big thing for me, I would have gotten a bit more info regarding me with it.....

As Dr Menzes describes this  issue...imagine ur head is a pumpkin in a very pointed stick....at some point, the pumpkin will begin to slide down onto the stick....pushing the stick further into the brain....not good.....and if that were happening, I would deal with the lesser amount of motion.....as I do not think allowing the setting to continue would be beneficial in ne way.

I would be sure u have a true chiari specialist for this procedure as with ne chiari related issue as they deal with these issues on a daily basis.

I hope I didn't ramble too much and this makes some sense?

Glad to have u join us, sorry for the reasons that brought u.

"selma"