Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
AAT deficiency - emphysema - newly diagnosed - life expectancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

I'm wondering what the life expectancy is for AAT deficiency with emphysema. I was just diagnosed with both at age 38. I was a smoker of one half to one pack per day since age 14 but have quit over the past two years with a cigarette here and there.  I was diagnosed with athsma after beginning smoking at 14 and usually used my inhaler before smoking.  I used my inhaler at least 2 times per day while smoking. When I stop smoking (like since the past two years) I don't have asthma and don't use my inhaler ever. I don't seem to have any symptoms now of emphysema. I did have a chronic cough deep in the lungs that woudn't go away which is why I went to see a doctor. That is now gone.  How long to people with my history generally live? Thank you.
Since you are not smoking, you no longer need your inhaler, the chronic cough is gone and you do not have any symptoms now, then I would say that you have many years left to live. If you continue not to smoke and you are feeling this good, then I promise you have many, many years left. You cannot undo the damage already done to your lungs. But, if you do not smoke and take good care of yourself,  the progression of your COPD will be greatly slowed and sometimes the progression will be stopped.  I myself am in the moderate stage of COPD. But, live your life and enjoy it. Just eat healthy, exercise and keep not smoking. Best of luck to you.