Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
AAT deficiency - emphysema - newly diagnosed - life expectancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

AAT deficiency - emphysema - newly diagnosed - life expectancy

I'm wondering what the life expectancy is for AAT deficiency with emphysema. I was just diagnosed with both at age 38. I was a smoker of one half to one pack per day since age 14 but have quit over the past two years with a cigarette here and there.  I was diagnosed with athsma after beginning smoking at 14 and usually used my inhaler before smoking.  I used my inhaler at least 2 times per day while smoking. When I stop smoking (like since the past two years) I don't have asthma and don't use my inhaler ever. I don't seem to have any symptoms now of emphysema. I did have a chronic cough deep in the lungs that woudn't go away which is why I went to see a doctor. That is now gone.  How long to people with my history generally live? Thank you.