Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
COPD in the early 30? PLEASE READ AND RESPOND
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

COPD in the early 30? PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

When I turned 30 I was given a PFT test as a pre-medical physical. I didn't not pass and the PFT stated that I have mild to moderate COPD. I thought that I didn't pass because I have a childhood history of asthma, and I smoked for about 8 years. (no more than a 1/4 to 1/2 pack a day)

After the test I went to a pulmologist to get another test. The test results stated that my FEV1 was about 76% and my FVC/FEV1 was about 81%. I also had an elevated DCLO. The pulmologist did not give me any broncodilation at that time, She stated to me i don't have emphysema.

I saw another pulmologist 3 months afterward the test results were similar the previous exam.He only did spirmetry He cleared me for the job in writing but I never got it. I recieved brochodilation and the results did not improve much. About 6 months after the exam I requested for my PFT results the test stated I have mild to moderate COPD.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS IN STORE FOR ME? I have done alot of research about COPD and I know it will get worse. My current family doctor stated I was fine and ok and I should live a normal lifespan. My wife is in denial as well.. I need support and information. I have two children and I would like to see the grow to adulthood. I have a few questions to ask the group.  I had asthma as a child.  I have a few asthma/COPD symptoms such as sputum and shortness of breath.  I exercise regularly.

Do I really Have COPD?

How long does it take COPD to worsen from mild to moderate?

Is their anything I could do to slow the progession?

How and when should I talk to other family members about my disease?