COPD in the early 30? PLEASE READ AND RESPOND
When I turned 30 I was given a PFT test as a pre-medical physical. I didn't not pass and the PFT stated that I have mild to moderate COPD. I thought that I didn't pass because I have a childhood history of asthma, and I smoked for about 8 years. (no more than a 1/4 to 1/2 pack a day)

After the test I went to a pulmologist to get another test. The test results stated that my FEV1 was about 76% and my FVC/FEV1 was about 81%. I also had an elevated DCLO. The pulmologist did not give me any broncodilation at that time, She stated to me i don't have emphysema.

I saw another pulmologist 3 months afterward the test results were similar the previous exam.He only did spirmetry He cleared me for the job in writing but I never got it. I recieved brochodilation and the results did not improve much. About 6 months after the exam I requested for my PFT results the test stated I have mild to moderate COPD.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS IN STORE FOR ME? I have done alot of research about COPD and I know it will get worse. My current family doctor stated I was fine and ok and I should live a normal lifespan. My wife is in denial as well.. I need support and information. I have two children and I would like to see the grow to adulthood. I have a few questions to ask the group.  I had asthma as a child.  I have a few asthma/COPD symptoms such as sputum and shortness of breath.  I exercise regularly.

Do I really Have COPD?

How long does it take COPD to worsen from mild to moderate?

Is their anything I could do to slow the progession?

How and when should I talk to other family members about my disease?
If I were you I would take natural anti-inflammatories. Most important as an anti-inflammatory and for thinning mucus is vitamin B5. Take 500 mg. daily. A moderate amount of vitamin C is useful too. About 500 mg is enough. I also take mullein extract. If you suffer shortness of breath an albuterol inhaler is in order. If used moderately there are no side effects. I presume you are already taking an anti-histamine. At this stage your COPD is far from serious, but you want to keep it from getting worse, if, in fact, that is what you have.

Beware of taking inhaled steroids. The side effects can be very serious and, in any case, your condition does not warrant it. Steroids wreck you immune system and cause your adrenals to malfunction. They also cause bone loss - and who knows what else.

Your main problem may well be asthma. You might want to follow an anti-inflmmatory program and then get tested again.