Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Resputory Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Resputory Issues

I have been having this issue for several years now but sporadically.  It feels like when I breath my lungs are not filling up completely and it causes me to yawn a lot and gasp for air.  It started probably 5 years ago I had a bad allergic reaction to pollen.  I have been to the doctor, they listened to my chest and told me it was not asthma and probably my allergies and sent me on my way but this really didn't help as I have allergies to a lot of things and not being able to breathe properly 4 days a week is really uncomfortable.  also I have taken antihistimines and they really don't seem to work.  any ideas as to what this may be and how I can make it better?
One possible cause of this sensation is hyperventilation.  Discomfort can cause you to breathe faster and breathing faster can cause anxiety and discomfort from hyperventilation.  

Another common cause of hyperventilation is using a higher level of stimulants than is right for you.  Perhaps you are getting a lot of caffeine from energy drinks or coffee or something, or perhaps you are taking antihistamines that have decongestants, and the decongestant is too stimulating and causing hyperventilation.  

Decrease stimulants and try exercising more, thinking about breathing.  Do exercises that cause you to fill your lungs and expand your ribcage.  Try yoga.  Anything that works your heart and lungs or teaches you to slow your breathing may bring you relief.