Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
oxygen saturation and mental acuity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

oxygen saturation and mental acuity

My mom is 79 with COPD and heart failure.  She got sick last month and was hospitalized for pneumonia.  After receiving a pulmonary therapy treatment, the pulmonary therapist neglected to reattached my mom's nasal canula.  By the time I realized what was going on her o2 sat rate was in the low 60's.  Since then her memory is horrible.  She can't remember anything for any length of time.  She was the one who never forgot anything.  Is this recoverable or is this the start of her decompensating?  Help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But it is difficult to say conclusively if the low O2 sat has caused her deteriorating mental acuity. The O2 saturation needs to be maintained above 88%. If there is a persistent O2 sat level below this it could cause vital organ damage. If in addition if the cerebral vessels are narrowed, this could further compromise the blood supply and oxygen levels. So, based on the cause her memory may improve if the causative factors are corrected.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.