Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Liver blood test in normal range but alt = ast?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Hello, my liver blood test were all in normal range (well the bilirubin was borderline high at 1.3m),

however the alt and ast were both 20. I know this is in range, but I heard that if the ast was greater than or equal to alt, this could mean an issue like cirrhosis, cancer, etc... It was something about a ratio.

Does this ratio apply even when in range? Looking at my past blood tests my alt was always a little higher than my ast even if by a few points.

thanks
If total Bilirubin is within the labs norms it means your bilirubin is normal.
Your liver enzymes are normal also.
Ratio between AST and ALT is irrelevant when blood values are normal. The ratio is only useful if a person has abnormally high liver enzymes.

These blood tests indicate that nothing injuring your liver currently (such as hepatitis or toxins) but tells nothing about whether or not you have any liver disease at all. These tests alone can not be used to diagnose cirrhosis or liver cancer which normally only appears in cirrhotic patients. Other tests must be done to determine if a person has liver disease. Three blood test don't provide enough information to diagnose any illness including cirrhosis or liver cancer. Only a doctor can diagnose a condition or illness following proper diagnosis guidelines.

See a gastroenterologist or hepatologist if you are concerned about having liver disease, cirrhosis or liver cancer.

Hector
10356 Coyote is always out there ... Comment
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
May 27
JCB1606 cautiously optimistic Comment
May 27
Track your weight over time