Colitis Expert Forum
4mo Midepigastric Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

4mo Midepigastric Pain

This is a bit complex so give me a minute here.  Im 33 years old.  Perfectly healthy until 5 months ago.  Began having midepigastric pain that was worse in the evening and first thing in the morning.  At first I thought it was somewhat better after using the restroom in the morning but things progressed.  I was burping a lot and had a lot of bloating.  My GI doc did an upper endoscopy and found a couple of very superficial duodenal ulcers.  Biopsies should gastritis and duodenitis and were negative for h. pylori.  Antibodies were negative for h. pylori as well.  Started on nexium and reglan with not much improvement at all.  Ultimately those were stopped.  Symptoms flared occasionally, but in general were consistent every day.  Not particularly related to meals one way or another.  A CT scan was negative, mild duodenal inflammation, No lymph nodes, no obvious pancreatitis.  A gastric emptying study was at the quick end of normal, but within normal range.  All labs have been normal hemoglobin, liver, pancreas, etc.  HIDA scan normal.  Ultrasound of the abdomen Normal.  Small bowel series showed some incomplete contraction of ileum but could not say anything definitive.  Colonoscopy was normal with a normal appearing cecum and internal hemorhoids..  My symptoms have progressed.  I still have the pain now pretty continuous through the day in the midepigastric region above the navel.  They are still worse in the morning and I have to use the restroom every morning. I have not had black stools, but 1 episode of frank red blood in 5 months.  My intestines are very active in the AM and often times they can be heard outside the body.  Occasionally I have night sweats but I have not lost any weight.  I have since tried librax and not noticed much improvement as well.  gastrin level was normal.  I'm very frustrated as you can imagine but at the same time relieved they have not found anything serious.  Any thoughts on where to go from here or what it may be?
Does the pain wake you up from sleep?
Any change in bowel habits?
Was celiac disease ruled out?