Colitis Expert Forum
Colitis-related syndrome
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Colitis-related syndrome

Doctor,

I am a 35 year old white male who has had colonoscopy-confirmed ulcerative colitis for the last 12 years. Everytime I am forced to hold in my stool for any time at all (e.g. when I am in public and cannot immedeatly find an available restroom), when I finally get to a restroom I experience loose stool contatining high concentrations of blood (the water in the toilet turns completely red and blood contines to drip from my anus after defecation. Under normal circumstances, while on medication, my stools are solid and contain little or no blood). Within one to two hours I begin to have fever (usually around 100-101 degrees Farenheit), chills, headache, severe tremors and, strangely, a sore throat, which persist anywhere from a few hours to a few days. These symptoms usually respond to acetominophen (Tylenol).

Every time I have tried to explain this problem to a GI doctor I have been met with either a "blank stare" or seeming disbelief.

Have you ever seen someone with colitis or Crohn's disease who experiences such symptoms after trying to retain a bowel movement? If you could possibly shed some light on the nature of this "syndrome" and what I might do to treat and/or prevent it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and best regards,

Michael Buttross.