Colitis Expert Forum
Heal Anal Fistula without surgery?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heal Anal Fistula without surgery?

About a month and a half ago I had a papillae (skin tag) removed from the anal area. I think it was due to a fissure I created while pushing because of poor fiber intake. So when it healed it created a skin tag. But now that I had it removed I think it created another problem. I was freaked out when I found some granulation tissue after surgery was inflamed and hurt really bad. I was sitting at my desk at work and felt unbearable pain and by the time I got home (this is gross) it had poped puss and a bit of blood oozed out. After that it felt better but I was still concerned so I went to another doctor for a second opinion. He had taken a look and said I have an anal fistula. It's basically an infected anal gland that had made a tear or tunnel to the exterior of the skin. I had my appointment with him a week ago and I still have pain in the rectum area. I keep a gause in their to collect any secreations that may ooze out. I had asked him if it will heal on it's own and he said I have a 40% chance that it will. The other 60% is what I'm afraid of. He said to soak in a sitz bath ans often as possible. I want to ask anyone out there if they have gone through this agony and did it ever heal on it's own without surgery, if it did how long did it take? Right now I don't have insurance and I just started a new job 2 weeks ago so it will be some time before i get any coverage. I would appreciate any feedback from doctors or personal experiences.
Related Discussions
Avatar_m_tn
Hi,
Only very few fistulas heal by themselves and most need surgery.
Other options like fibrin glue or collagen plug to seal the fistula are available.
The duration by which it can heal by itself depends on the underlying cause and whether there is any associated infection with collection of pus inside.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
1 Comment
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
A related discussion, fistula was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
Avatar_m_tn
Ratnakar Kini
Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank