Colitis Expert Forum
Pain after Gallbladder removal surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Pain after Gallbladder removal surgery

I had my gallbladder removed on April 15 and was doing well for a few weeks. Then I started developing frequent diarrhea, acid reflux, pain in the RUQ (same area as before removal) and my stomach is very tender and easily upset. Anything I eat causes pain in my stomach and I feel a burning/ache constantly. Every morning I wake I up throwing up because the acid reflux is so bad. I have tried all the over the counter drugs to help this, but nothing even puts a dent in the acid. I have military healthcare and it is VERY difficult to see a doctor, get appointments, etc. For instance I fought FOR MONTHS about my pain and they said it was a pregnancy induced cyst. THEN, when the cyst was gone, they said I just had UTI. THEN, they said I MIGHT have a kidney stone. I lost 30 pounds while pregnant from throwing up, and running a 103 fever for a full month! Finally the ER doc ordered a ultrasound for my kidneys and I just lucked out that the ultrasound technician noticed a mass in my gallbladder. After surgery, the surgeon said I had the biggest gallstone he had ever seen, it was blocking my bile duct and my gallbladder was significantly swollen. He said my pancreas was too, but will go down in time. I don't want to go in unless it warrants something could be wrong. Is this normal after surgery? I got a weird phone call from his nurse today (3 months after my surgery) asking legal/medical questions. She just asked if I had a heart attack, blood clots, ulcers or seizures. When I told her no and said "but..." She hung up. I am very concerned and feel neglected. Should I get things checked out and worry about getting the push off and have to go through the whole chain...paper work? I don't know what to do, but I know that I am in too much pain and tired of being constantly sick. If I do go, what should I share with my general doctor? (I can't see the doctor who did my surgery, because he only does pre-surgery consults!) Thank you! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
In patients undergoind gallbladder surgery, pain may persist even after surgery. This is called postcholecystectomy syndrome.
The causes are -
1. The pain could be due to some other reason like functional bowel disease ( before surgery)
2. Stone in the bile duct
3. Sphincter of Oddi ( bile duct valve) dysfunction.
4. Unrelated pain
If pain is persistent evaluation by a gastroenterologist is needed.
Diarrhea can occur after GB surgery which will subside on its own after a couple of months.