Epilepsy Community
Keppra and Sinusitus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Keppra and Sinusitus

Hi, I have seen that in amongst the Keppra side effects, 'infections and sinusitus' are mentioned. I have been on Keppra for four years now and whilst it has been a fantastic break through for control of my seizures, I am getting debilitating colds lots and lots of times a year. If a common cold is going round, I will always catch it, but it seems to effect me ten times worse, I'm laid up for 2 weeks with what feels like flu, but Im sure is only a cold. This always triggers sinusitus off which I end up having antibiotics for to clear it up. I apear to have what I assume is tinnitus too.
All this has only started happening since taking the Keppra, I'm just begining to wonder if the two are somehow connected? If so, how does Keppra actually cause this?
Thanks Claire
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
Keppra can cause sinusitis, dizziness as its side effect. Since Keppra is suiting you well for your seizures I will advise you to take precautions for preventing a sinus attack. Treating allergies and colds, avoiding pollution, eliminating smoking, and taking a nutritious diet can help reduce the frequency of flu attacks. Do consult your doctor and discuss your concerns. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and best luck!