Epilepsy Community
febrile seizure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

febrile seizure

my son is now two years and nine months old. he had a seizure at an age of one and a half year which lasts for ten months. he had his second seizure an year after the first one which also lasts for ten minutes.there was a gap of 1 year between the first two seizures but then he had the third seizure just after one month of the second one .about twenty minutes his body was shaking and his eyes were rolled back. we took him to the hospital but he started normal response after two hours. i forget to mention in the start that all the three seizures were with a high temperature which was 102 and103 during all the three cases because he had  chest and throat infection
After two days of the third seizure we did his EEG  which turned as abnormal the EEG  report says

"background rythem is mixed theta and alfa which are mature for him, few sharp waves and frequent slow waves were observed on both side more in temporal lobe channels which is in keeping with siezure disorder, sleep spindle were seem many times during the recording, photic stimulation did not induce any abnormal wave or rythm".

His doctor diagnosed him epilepsy and   advised  us to start anticonvulsant medicine for six months. we started the medicine and gave him for twenty days. we got second opinion from another senior doctor he told us to stop the medicine . now we have stopped the medicine. my questions for any doctor are.
1. is it an epilepsy or are they simple febrile seizers.
2 what does an abnormal EEG in my child's case means.
3. how we can protect our child from having seizures (with high fever) in future.
4. should we repeat the EEG and when.
5. do our child need any medication if yes which one.
6. what is the duration of seizure is it the time period of shacking and eye rolling or is it time of total recovery of child .

any kind doctor please answer my questions as here in Peshawar we do not have well qualified doctors.

plz note the first seizure was for ten minutes and not ten months.