Mono and hand, foot and mouth?
Last year I developed a sore painful throat with ulcers on my tonsils, fever and small, red, sore spots on the soles of my feet and my palms. My doctor diagnosed me with hand, foot and mouth (coxsackie virus), as the symptoms were pretty obvious. I thought it was weird that I got it, though, since it's more of a child's disease. Six months later I had the exact same symptoms, except I also had a generalized rash of painless little red dots on my legs. My doctor said  you can't get the coxsackie virus twice and tested me for mono through a monospot. The test was positive. Seven months later I developed a fever and very painful, pus covered tonsils, along with fatigue. I saw a different doctor from before. She tested for strep, which was negative, and ran a monospot, which was positive. I am confused - I didn't think you could get mono twice! I'm wondering if there is something else going on here because I have heard that some other diseases can cause a false positive on the monospot. Should I check for immune system problems? Could there be something else going on? It seems weird that in one year I'm getting these strange diagnoses like hand, foot and mouth and mono twice. I have been to college and traveled a lot - wouldn't I already have been exposed to mono?
Yeah, I would check with an infectious disease specialist.  It's possible the first positive test could have been correct, but the second one (7 months later, and regardless of whether the first was correct or not) almost certainly has to be a false positive.  I can see why the doctor would have you tested, as the symptoms are in line with EBV/mono; but unfortunately, there are many other sicknesses that have the same symptoms.  Just wondering, did your doctor have you take the EBV blood test at any point?  It's not really worth taking now, because it would probably just indicate a previous infection, but if you did have it already, that could possibly indicate whether or not EBV is a likely cause.  Hope this helps, and hope you get things figured out!