Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
mono 3 times

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

mono 3 times

I was diagnosed with mono when I was in 3rd grade. I was sick for about 3 months, and the dr. told me "on the bright side you wont have it in college". Three years later (6th grade) I became extremly ill with chronice head aches and after being sick for 3 weeks and anti biotics not working they did a blood panel that showed as that my mono had "reoccured" I had no normal mono symptoms other than fatigue. After 3 months I began to get back to normal. I have always been a person who needs ten hours of sleep but very active with swimming, school, work etc. Now at 21 I was just diagnose with mono (by spot test) once again, Over 8 years later? The dr. seemed a bit concerned that I had it again long after the first time I had it to begin with. I have no disease(std's etc), and no other illnesses that I know of!?! does anyone have any suggestions of whats wrong or why this could happen? He sent out some blood work to confirm the mono, but I want to be ready with what to expect and what to ask the dr when I go and get my results.
Tags: mono, fatigue, symptom, 3
You might want to see an endocrinologist. My son was diagnosed with mono and hashimotos thyroiditis. Has all the mono symptoms, and thyroidits compounds the fatigue factor. With an autoimmune disease, which is when your body actually begins attacking the tissues, (opposite of how the immune system works), it is called autoimmune. I urge you to set up and appointment with an endocrinologist. Even though the typical thyroid tests most doctors do come within range, and endocrinologist will be more thorough and specializes in the glandular system. Mono does give swollen glands, and you want to make sure to get a thyroglubulin antibody test. That was how we knew my son had a problem with his thyroid.
The older we get, the easier it is to pick up more than one autoimmune disease, so it will be well worth your while. Good luck.