Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Ecoli in foot wound

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Ecoli in foot wound

I am a diabetic and had my right great toe removed 8 months ago. Since then I have contracted Ecoli in the unhealed wound area. I have gone to a wound care doctor, only to find out that his idea of healing is to cut the wound down to the bone and see how it does from there. I am no longer with that doctor.
I have tried Zyvox, Cipro and Bactrim for the Ecoli and nothing has helped. I have done alot of praying over this wound/foot and have done everything all the doctors have asked me to do, but with no progress. Please help me, I have very few options or hope left. My email is ***@****.
Thank You and God Bless
Tags: ecoli
you need to get a deep culture of the wound and get a C&S (culture and sensitivity) to determine what is the ideal antibiotic for killing the E coli.  some strains are resistant to antibiotics.
The medications you listed are pills.  it may be beneficial to get IV medication to help combat the bacteria.  
in the interim, acticote is a wound care dressing that can kill lots of bacteria.  
if the wound doesn't close, it could also mean that the bone is still infected.  an MRI can help assess this.  sometimes, more bone will have to be removed with 6 weeks of IV antibiotics.  then, a wound vac can be placed on the open wound to help the tissue close over.