Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Is it Cellulitis?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Is it Cellulitis?

Hello, I am a 40 year old, overweight female who was diagnosed about a year and a half ago (by an emergency dr.) with Cellulitis in both feet. At that time, both feet were extremely swollen and both ankles had a peculiar redness to them extending upward toward my shin.  I was given lasix and anti-biotics, then had to have several injections of anti-biotics later on.  
Both of my feet are, and have been, in extremely bad shape for some time. I have very dry, cracked heels - with many "cuts" or "grooves" etched into my heels and bottoms of my feet. I think I might possibly have a nail fungus or infection in both of them also. The skin around the edges of my heels are extremely calloused and hard.
The reason I am writing is because I noticed that I have that strange redness in my ankles again (more so in my left ankle than my right), but this time it feels like my ankle is on fire also.  Of course my feet are in constant pain again (again, more so in the left).  Do you think it is possible that I might have Cellulitis again??  I don't have any insurance, so that is what is keeping me from going to a doctor, but last time they were very close to hospitalizing me so I dont want to wait too long if you think it is a medical emergency.  Also, I should  tell you, I am on my feet at work constantly all day. ( I work 3 - 4 days per week.)  Please give me your professional opinion and thank you soo much for any help you can give.
keep your legs up for at least one hour...if the redness is still present and the feet still feel hot and painful, go to the doctor.  it could be cellulitus again.