Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Mystery intermittent stab pains in left foot

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Hello.  As of 3 weeks ago, an intermittent stabbing pain developed on the top of my left foot right between the big toe and the ankle.  The best way to describe the pain is it is spontanious, and very difficult to find a pattern.  The pain will pulsate, it's not solid.  Then it will go away for an hour or 2, and then come back, same pulsating stabbing pain.  Last week the pain has turned into a brief tingling, also pulsating, almost like a nerve pulse.  Now that tingling is gone, and its back to the normal pain.  Let me be very clear that the pain is unreproducable and independent from what I'm doing (walking, laying down, sitting down, rubbing or moving the foot, etc).  The stabbing pains range from a 3-5 on the scale, mostly at 3.

Once in a while the pain will move (not shoot) up to my ankle, and sometimes down to my big toe.  This has been happening every day for the last 2 weeks, and started 3 weeks ago.  Coincidentally I took Zoloft for 2 days only, but stopped it because of this what I originally thought was just a side-effect.

I saw a podiatrist on Monday but he found nothing wrong in my x-ray.  I did have a very serious break on my foot when I was 5 years old.  I am now 26.  I've googled these complex pain symptoms like crazy, but nothing solid came up on what I'm experiencing.  I am also withdrawing from Diazepam and have a lot of stress factors going on with this, but again, only my left foot is effected so I don't know how much

I explained this the best that I can.  This has me particurly worried and a bit shook up as no one seems to have an answer on this.  Is this kind of pain somewhat normal, even considering the unique feature of it?  Could it be neurpathy, or some crazy form of arthritis?  What are the chances of this being permanent?

Thanks in advanced for your help.
you may have a nerve impingement that is causing this.  i would recommned getting worked up by a neurologist for nerve conduction testing and EMG.
x-rays only show bone problems.