Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Swollen foot

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Swollen foot

Dear Dr. Do:

My left foot was swollen for the past full month. It start from no apparent reason, then slowly spread to all joints of my foot, top and bottom (sole).  My uric acid level is 6.8 and I was prescribed Colchicine 0.6 mg. The swollen reduced to about 50%. X-ray revealed no fracture and my podiatrist gave two injections of Cortisone. My foot was almost cured for two days, then the swollen came back (about 30%). The MRI revealed nothing but swollen. My podiatrist said nothing else can be done but waiting for the foot to heal by itself.
What could be the possible cause of this swollen?
Anything else should be done to detect teh reason of swollen ?
How one should prevent it ?

Thanks for your help.
you have gout which causes crystalization to the joint which result in pain and inflammation.   you need to change your diet:  cut out alcohol, organ meat (bologna,hotdogs), shelled seafood, and drink lots of water.
get your kidneys checked to make sure they are fine.  
lastly, if this continues, you will need to be placed on an anti-gout medication (allopurinol) to  keep the acid levels low.
1 Comment
A related discussion, long term left foot problems was started.