Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
razor cut on heel

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

razor cut on heel

Hi, I am 38 years old and I cut the back of my heel using a small hand held pedicure tool that removes thick or dead skin from your foot. I scraped the tool a little too hard and as it removed the skin it began to bleed and it is now sore. I washed the area, applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Then I poured some peroxide over the wound, applied some herbal triple antibiotic ointment I have called "Mebo". I covered it with a couple of large band-aids. I changed the wound again doing the same treatment before going to bed. I do not want this to become infected and cause any further problems, yet I do not feel it is serious enough of a cut to go to the hospital. What do you advise i do as a home treatment to heal? I hope to receive an answer soon. Thanks in advance.
Stop using peroxide.  It will kill the tissue.  It is only good to use once to kill the germs.
Wash the area with soap and water and apply your herbal triple antibiotic.  If you don't see improvement, use Neosporin (OTC topical antibiotic ointment).  Continue using band-aids to keep the are clean.
If you are a diabetic and the wound does not improve, you will  need to see a podiatrist for evaluation and treatment.
Take 1000 mg of Vitamin C and a multivitamin daily to help boost your healing potentials.
Go to the doctor if the wound pusses, looks more red, hot, or worsens.  Once the area looks like it is healing, apply petroleum jelly over the area and cover with a sock nightly.
1 Comment
I just cut my foot with a razor, and found your post so helpful. Thank you!