Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
stabbing pain near big toe
About This Forum:

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

stabbing pain near big toe

Hi,

I am experiencing stabbing pain on the inner aspect of my right foot near the big toe when I weight bear and sometimes when I'm at rest.  I also have an ache and tenderness under the big joint where my big toe meets the foot. I have noticed that when I walk, I have to limp so that my big toe doesn't have to bend upwards which is quite painful. I can't remember injuring the foot, it seems to have started overnight about a week ago and is getting progressively more painful. My whole forefoot now aches when I'm at rest. There is no deformity except for a slight swelling at the base of the big toe (maybe) and very slight redness (could be imagination)

I have had right plantar fasciitis in the past which has been injected with steroids, successfully.  I have also had removal of Mortons neuroma on this right foot as well. The surgeon who removed the neuroma said it was the largest he had ever had to remove and warned me that I could have ongoing problems due to the extent of the surgery he had to do.  That was about 15 years ago and I do get the same sensation sometimes that I used to get from the neuroma. i.e the bones clicking over each other and feeling like I'm walking on a pebble.

If this progresses any further, I'm afraid that I'll be unable to work.  My job involves constant walking on concrete floors and it's starting to become a real problem.

Thank you.

Chirley