Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
strange discoloration after an ankle injury?

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

a little over a year ago i tripped and fell down some stairs. after going to the emergency room and seeing an orthopedic doctor, it was diagnosed that i tore the ligament in my right ankle. a follow up appointment with the same orthopedic about 4 months later said the ankle was healing fine and that any discoloration would fade with time. it has now been about a year since that follow up appt and the red discoloration on my rt ankle appears to now be fading but to slowly be getting worse. there is about an inch by two inch mark on the inside of my ankle. it doesnt hurt or itch, there is no broken skin. but if i touch it the redness fades and then comes back. there are also other tiny blotches scattered on the side of my ankle and foot. there is also on my left shin where i hit my leg on the corner of a step, still a bruise about one inch by three inches. it is a light brownish color and if you run your finger over it there is a large bump in the middle that is still tender. my ankle doesnt hurt much although if i have been sitting for a while the first step on that foot is painful. should i re visit the orthopedic doctor? or is there something else that may be going on with my ankle?
i would revisit the doctor.  i have never encountered such an incident.  it sounds like your blood vessels got injured and hemosiderin (a content in the vessels) had leached out.  sometimes, this causes a reddish brown discoloration that never goes away.