General Health Community
CMV reactivation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

CMV reactivation

Hello
I am a 37 years old immunocompetent male who contracted CMV a year ago.. I had numerous symptoms ( headaches,dizziness , muscle pain and twitches , fatigue, slightly elevated body temperature) that lasted for almost 6 months... CMV batt was positive for both IgG and IgM and that was the only test that came back positive ( I checked hepatitis, HiV , EBV -past infection that I had when I was 18)
this January after catching a common cold (or a flu) that lasted for a week the same symptoms that I experienced last year returned- I think my CMV is reactivated as a consequence of a weakened immune system ..
My question is- since this is a herpesvirus and it remains in my body for life-what can I expect in future?
Will I be ill each time my body is weakened by different factors?
If it is causing me so much problems now,at 37 , what will happen in later life?
Should I consider antiviral treatment?
I guess what I experience with this virus is not really an average experience, but reading some posts on this website I realized I am not the only one either.. I would appreciate to get an answer from a doctor that encountered people like me in his practice and who can give me some clue as what to expect in the future..
thank you