My teenage son found a lump in his armpit
My 18 year old son came to me yesterday saying that he found a funny feeling lump in his armpit.  He says it feels funny, but has no pain.  It is not visible to the eye.  If you press deeply, you can feel a lump about the size and shape of a jelly bean in the center of his armpit.  It feels like a lymph node that is swollen.  I can find the same spot in the opposite armpit, and the lymph node is normal size on the other arm.  He has no infection, no fever, no sore throat.  Also of interest he just got back from a trip to Europe.  He does not have medical insurance since he just finished high school and is leaving for the Marine Corps in 8 weeks.  He falls between a gap of coverages.  Should I just watch the lump for a week before I take him in to see our family doctor?  Is this urgent?  He has lost no weight,  he has no other symptoms, he is very athletic, and works out daily.
Hi Lisa,

That's a tough call. I do think I would want to be sure he is in great health before he leaves for the Corp. I don't think waiting a week would hurt unless in the mean time he develops symptoms.

It may be nothing but he may have a smouldering virus or infection that has not shown other symptoms as of yet. If it were my son I would not wait. Others will post with their opinions or suggestions.

Best of luck to you and your son. I hope the enlarged lymph node is nothing and wish him well in the Corp.

Tuck