Hearing Loss Expert Forum
BPPV in the young.

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

BPPV in the young.

23 yr old male, 5'6 130lbs

Have history of NF and  a comorbid bone tumor disorder (per new research NF has been shown to in higher than normal frequency with other tumor disorders) Also history of ear wax buildup due to slightly twisted ear canal.  Have occasionally had mild vertigo while turning my head, but last summer had a real bad bought especially when lying down. Told my  ENT about this ( whom I saw for a cutaneous giant cell tumor of the outer year and chronic sinusitis along with follow up for NF related pathology) did not seem too concerned as MRI done in November of '07 was clean for any visible abnormalities in the brain.

I have also had numerous ekgs, a holter and two echoes in 5 years for precautionary NF related measures. Cardiologist assures me all tests are normal.  

Last night I was awoken from sleep with terrible vertigo, I believe I had just turned around in bed. While awake had more attacks when moving head and today I still feel a little dizzy although it is very mild. Along with the vertigo I noticed nausea and the sensation that my eyes were darting around.

On metoprolol and paxil for anxiety, father had a history of vertigo, although this could have been due to Meineres or hypokalemia due to alcoholism.  My question is does this sound like BPPV and if not what else could it be? Any other tests needed?  Thank you

BPPV lasts a few seconds after turning over in bed or looking up. Not sure if this is what you experienced. Could be mild labyrinthis,or related to your other problems, See an Ear specialist and get and ENG and a Semont or Eply maneuver if you have the symptoms ob PBBV