Hearing Loss Expert Forum
Can a Hearing Aid Be Altered to Fit Better?

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

My father has a hearing aid, but he still cannot hear properly.  He has lost quite a bit of weight and I wondered if this has an effect on the hearing aid?  Is there a way to alter his hearing aid, or would he need a whole new one?

Thank you for your help.

Hello, This is a great question.  

Weight loss absolutely has an effect on the fit and function of the hearing aid.  Typically when someone has a significant amount of weight loss we would "remake" the hearing aid or the earmold with a new impression of the ear/s.  This does depend on the age of the hearing aid and there will most likely be a cost for the repair/remake.  His hearing care provider would be able to give you a concrete answer if his hearing aid can be remade for a better fit.  

The other thing to do is to make sure his hearing test is up to date and that the hearing aid is programmed accordingly.  Hearing loss is a slow gradual decline and he could be experiencing more hearing loss compared to when he was originally fit with the aid.

These two suggestions are where we typically start in this scenario.  I hope this information was helpful.  Thank you for using the hearing loss forum.

Rachele M. Orsini, Au.D.