Hearing Loss Expert Forum
EARS BLOCKED DUE TO HAVEING A COLD

Questions in the Hearing Loss expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

EARS BLOCKED DUE TO HAVEING A COLD

I HAVE BEEN SICK WITH A COLD FOR 2 WEEKS NOW.  I HAD SORE THROAT, BAD COUGH, BODY ACHES WHICH HAVE ALL DISAPEARED NOW.  NOW I WOKE UP AND MY LEFT EAR IS BLOCKED AND I CAN'T HEAR OUT OF IT.  IS THERE A OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATION, OR HOME REMADEY THAT I CAN USE TO UNBLOCK MY EAR?
Good Morning,  Sound like you had a terrible cold!  There are several things that could be wrong with your left ear: You could have fluid build up as a results of your recent illness; you could have wax impaction that has not occluded (plugged) your ear canal; you could have a virus that has gotten to your inner ear causing hearing loss-this is by far the most serious of the possible problems.  Your best solution is to visit your physician, even better would be to go to an Ear, Nose and Throat physican as soon as possible.  As an Audiologist, anytime one of my patients experiences sudden onset hearing loss, we encourage them to seek medical attention as soon as possible to prevent permanent damage to our ears.

Thank you for the question and I hope you feel better!

Rachele M.Orsini, Au.D.