Hernia Community
Rowing after incisional hernia repair

Hernia occurs when part of an internal organ pushes through an opening in the organ’s wall. There are many types of hernias such as Inguinal Hernia (in the groin), Umbilical Hernia (around the belly button), and Incisional Hernia (through a scar). Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms, causes and surgical treatments for hernias.

Rowing after incisional hernia repair

In late October I had a 4 hour open surgery to repair an incisional hernia caused by 2 surgeries (colostomy and colostomy takedown) last year plus an infection of the incision following the second surgery. This time the incision is 8" vertical and the surgeon used a 15cm x 20cm Strattice mesh. All seems to healing well. My question is, is rowing o.k. after this surgery as I know it increases intra abdominal pressure? My surgeon thinks its ok but he is not a sports specialist. Also do I need to be careful for the rest of my life with heavy lifting etc? Any insight is much appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For the surgical site to heal completely, you can wait for six months, before you proceed with strenuous exercise. You can go for aerobic exercises, like swimming or cycling. Even long walks would be beneficial.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.