Herpes Expert Forum
Contracting herpes from applying suntan lotion

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I am freaking out here and would like some guidance.  A friend of mine asked me to apply suntan lotion to his back and lower back area and my hands might have touch the top of the area where the HSV virus is shed (ie the top of the boxer shorts area).  Without even thinking about it I rubbed the remaining excess lotion from my hands on the back of my legs.  I have to say I am wearing a pretty short bathing suit with only two inches of material below my butt. So again, I might have rubbed the lotion into the "boxer short" region people associate with HSV.  My friend has no visual symptoms or sores of any kind on the areas I touched but I am worried about asymptomatic shedding.  Also, my friend is quite promiscuous and definitely has had many sexual partners over the years.  There was no contact with the lotion and my actual genitals.  I am worried he might be asymptomatically shedding, transferred to my hands and then rubbed the virus into the top of my legs entering the beginning part of the genital region where the skin is thin (ie again this boxer short area people talk about).  Is it even possible to contract herpes this way?  Should I be at all worried about this incident?
You can relax.  Herpes virus is not shed (without symptoms or sores) from any place but the genital area specifically.  The skin of the buttocks, thighs and belly is too thick for virus to be shed.  You only need to worry about this from the genital and anal areas specifically.

Terri