Herpes Community
Herpes In the Family

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes In the Family

My husband recently discovered 3 small sores on his penis, I immediately got tested for HSV 1 and 2. The HSV2 came back positive. I think it is safe to say that I gave it to him. Due to my own ignorance I never knew I had HSV. I have had irritation from time to time, Never more than twice a year (I thought from shaving or friction). I'm horrified that I have done this to my husband. I am even more horrified that I am discovering this several years into our relationship and I am  pregnant.
                        Naturally, I am afraid to infect my unborn child, or my  daughter. I've read that neonatal HSV is rare but very serious. I am trying not to overreact, while I wait to see my doctor. It has proven to be difficult. As soon as I found out about my positive result, my daughter came home with a 2 bug bites on her leg. I put Cortizone on them, and then I cried all night thinking she may have used my towel and become infected. The next morning thankfully they had vanished.  I then assumed they were in fact as she stated "bug bites" from the playground.
                      Also, now that I know what I have and what I've done to my husband, I am more observant of signs/symptoms in myself and others. One of my observations is that my father in law gets really bad sores on his mouth....So my next concern is , if my baby isn't infected during birth, what are the chances of the baby becoming infected from one of us?
I feel like I might take down my whole family......Can't sleep, have a hard time eating, I'm sick with worry. I can't cope with the thought of passing this to my children .

Would appreciate any advice on how to protect others from getting this virus from me. Is there a way to address the situation with my father in law without hurting his feelings?

Julia
Since you've had hsv2 prior to being pregnant, the risk to your baby isn't an issue until it's time for delivery.  You can discuss with your obgyn about starting suppressive therapy in the pregnancy doses during the last month of pregnancy to help reduce the odds of having an active lesion at the time of delivery so that you can deliver vaginally. No obvious lesions at the time of delivery and the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby during birth is less than 1%.  If you have active lesions the week you go into labor or when you are in labor, a c section will be performed.  The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com has a whole section on herpes and pregnancy for further reading.

Most adults have hsv1 orally. It's incredibly common and most folks who have it don't get obvious cold sores to know it.  Everyone in the family should not kiss the baby on the facial area at all when they have obvious cold sores present.  You can still transmit the virus to the baby when there aren't obvious cold sores present but avoiding that does go a long way. Also ask folks not to kiss the baby on the nose and mouth area too - that helps. The skin there is thinner and more easily infected with herpes than the forehead, cheeks, top of the head etc.

The only precaution you have to take for genital herpes as far as children and family members who aren't your spouse is to wash your hands after using the toilet or touchig yourself intimately.  The virus is easily killed with soap and water. It's highly unlikely to be transmitted thru your child grabbing your towel by mistake either. In theory it could be but there are no documented cases of it happening.  It's really not something to worry about - everyone in a household should have their own towel, washcloth, razor and toothbrush anyways because other germs are very easily transmitted thru sharing them.  You don't have to worry about any rashes on your children being due to you and hubby's genital herpes.

Keep asking questions as you have them :)

grace

Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers