LYSINE -- Does it work?
Hi I have genital herpes....  whenever I get an outbreak... I take medicine that the docs prescribes but I heard that if you take 1000mg LYSINE daily, this will help reduce the chance of outbreaks... is this true?

Thanks.
No, 1000mg of lysine daily doesn't do anything for herpes. The only dose that showed any reduction in ob's was the 1000mg 3x/day dose and that just decreased ob's by 2. We don't have any studies with lysine to see if it decreases viral shedding.  None of the studies showed that taking lysine helped to speed healing of lesions genitally either.  Most of us get more than enough lysine in our diets naturally so supplementing with it doesn't do much for most folks who try it.

You can get generic acyclovir for under $20/month even if you don't have any insurance. You just have to take it 2x/day to reduce ob's by 70% and shedding by 80%.  A lot more bang for your buck and a little less effort as far as how many times to remember to take it a day.

grace