culture test false positive?
About 2 weeks about I started to notice some issues with my vagina. I had 2 vertical sores on the lips of my vagina and I had some discharge as well. They were tender to the touch and they burned if urine touched them but that's all. I had no bumps, nothing itched. I started to have some swelling too. I went to the doctor and she said it didn't look like herpes at all but she did a culture test anyway. She also diagnosed me with bacteria vaginitis and gave me antibiotics and as soon as I took them the next day the swelling was gone and after a few days my sores were going away. Still, I've never had any bumps or itching. A few days after my visit to the doctor my culture test came back positive for genital hsv2. But I don't feel like I had any symptoms for hsv2, and I have been sexually active in a while. What are the odds of this culture test being a false positive?
Unfortunately, cultures are extremely reliable and the chance of this being a false positive is highly unlikely. If your symptoms haven't been bad then that's a pretty good indication that future symptoms won't be too harsh either.