Herpes Community
herpes & swollen labia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes & swollen labia

Exactly a week ago I first noticed some red bumps on my outer labia.  My boyfriend of over a year had recently had what we thought was a heat rash from playing baseball. We didn't think it could be anything serious because before we got together (and since due to standard annual physical protocol) we have both been tested for STDs. Unfortunately we did not know that these STD tests did not include a scan for the herpes virus, and we now believe that he was carrying it without being aware and has now passed it on to me.

I have a doctors appointment already scheduled for about a week from now, and I don't want to have to go in before that because I'm still on my parents insurance and I don't want to have to explain any of this to them. But I have been through the phases of a herpes out break and it has already been a horrifically painful week.  Now that many of the sores are scabbed over I was hoping to be 'out of the woods'. But today I woke up with an extremely swollen inner labia that prevents me from walking or even standing comfortably. Is this normal for this stage of an outbreak? Or is it time for me to swallow my pride and seek medical assistance? Please help and please be sensitive to the matter...this is already scary and embarrassing enough as it is...