Infectious Diseases Community
Search for cause of sudden onset of hypertension and hyperlipidemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Can a parasitic infection cause the sudden onset of hypertension and/or hyperlipidemia in an otherwise healthy 21 year old male?
Hi in the US it is not likely to get a type of parasite that would give you high blood pressure (schistosomiasis) they are mostly found in Africa and South East Asia. It wouldn't give him the  hyperlipidemia. One thing with young men is they try steroids for athletics or to look more muscular and that can cause both high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. I hope he is not on them. They can be congenital heart problems they can screen for. So, see if you can find out about steroid use and if not see a cardiologist to get a screen.Just thinking, did he get a full lipid panel? My husband had to take a statin drug in his 30's and he has boarderline high blood pressure. His is genetic and so if there is a family history he may have to get on one. But check into the other two things too.
mkh9